Wednesday 21 October 2015

embrace the change

There is a quote I like; I use it at work because it helps me focus my energy and attention in important areas.

The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.

I read on the Internet (so I assumed it must be true) that Socrates, the second best Greek ever (the first being Pheidippides), had said this. 

I like how it makes me feel. It is a positive way to look at change. It portrays it as an opportunity to improve rather than a chore to be endured. After a little bit of digging it turns out that it may not have been THE Socrates that said, but either way I liked it, but never really considered how it might impact outside of work.

And tonight while I was out running it occurred to me that I have been wasting energy fighting the old. 

You see two years ago I was running loads of ultras and some pretty fast Half Marathons as well. Since then I have been angry at the fact I'm not where I was.

Not as fast as I was, running as far as I was or with the achievements I was getting.

And like all of the best ideas that occur to me, my mindset changed while I was running.

Instead of being disappointed with what I've lost I could focus on what is ahead.

Instead of looking back at old races with distaste I could remember them of the good times I had and plan bigger better challenges.

Instead of bitching about not being where I was, I could do the hard work and get back to where I was; or better even.....

2016 is going to be a big year for me with some mammoth challenges and I'll need all of my energy to complete them. I won't be wasting any of it fighting the old.

No comments:

Post a Comment