Sunday 6 December 2015

Motivational phrases

Motivational phrases are funny things. You see them all the time now. Social media is crammed full of powerful images and smart fonts giving advice to live by.

My usual reaction to these is:
Firstly, feel empowered and moved by them,
Secondly, remember the sentiment, but not really do much with the information,
Lastly, forget the entire thing and keep doing what I've always done, hoping that somehow the result will be different.

This week I came up with my own motivational phrase and this one has stuck.

It comes at a time when I am finally mending from some weird back issues that have been causing sciatic and hip pain, and at a time when I really need to start a more structured training regime for next years races.

It has nothing to do with living for the day, I can't even pretend it is about change or how the spirit of a person can overcome all odds.

On Friday when I had no motivation to run and figured it wouldn't be good for my back I said
"Fuck it".

Fuck waiting to be better, fuck patience. Fuck waiting until tomorrow when I have more time.

Stop being lazy and making excuses, get off your arse and go running!!!

So I stuck on a head torch and some music and I went running.

It felt amazing, it felt fast, it felt like fun. It felt good to stick a middle finger up at all the things telling me not to run.

Maybe it has something to do with letting go of stress, or simply doing what I want. I'm not really sure and I have no plan to analyse it. But when I find myself in a rut, or not wanting to go out or struggling with the daily grind, its good to know that I can always say fuck it, and go for a run.

1 comment:

  1. I could definitely see that slogan on your picture in a nice flowery swirly font ;) I would even buy the T-shirt. Happy running Dan!

    ReplyDelete